2019 Annual MTAI Conference
Still Meadow Retreat Center
16561 SE Marna Rd
Damascus, OR 97089
September 13, 2019 – Septeber 15, 2019
Our conference this year is named in honor of the documentary created by Farshid Akhlaghipour and Peter Roberts.
The conference will be held at the Still Meadow Retreat Center in Damascus, Oregon. Participants who are staying at Still Meadow can begin checking in on Thursday afternoon, September 12th. There will also be an optional dinner and informal event on Thursday evening for all conference attendees. For those of you who are not familiar with Still Meadow, it is a secluded sanctuary located a half-hour’s drive from downtown Portland and is situated on 60 acres of forest and meadow; the grounds are beautiful and there are a number of options for outdoor walks and hiking. Lodging is available onsite. Gourmet meals, included in your conference registration, are prepared by the Still Meadow chef.
We are so excited to bring Farshid Akhlaghipour and Peter Roberts all the way from Australia as our keynote speakers! Conference attendees will be treated to a special screening of Farshid’s and Peter’s documentary, “From Music into Silence”, as well as two conference sessions co-led by Farshid and Peter, one titled: “Only From The Heart You Can Touch The Sky”.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity! Family and friends who would like to see the film are invited to either register for this conference, or alternatively can attend the public showing of the film at Cinema 21 in Portland on Monday, September 16th at 7:00 pm, following the conference.
We also have a great line-up of additional conference sessions, which include:
• Schola – Led by Dia Walker with Raya Partenheimer assisting.
• Authentic Movement
• Neonate/pediatric panel – Facilitated by James Excell. Panel includes Laura Moya, Peter Roberts, Michael Sasnow, Kieran Schnabel, and a health professional from Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.
• Music in Healthcare: Exploring the similarities and differences between music-thanatology, music therapy, and therapeutic musicians – Panel facilitated by Laura Moya.
• Expanding our horizons with vigil music – focus on improvisation and technique with Joshua Ward.
• MTAI business meeting (for full and retired MTAI members only) – Led by Tony Pederson, MTAI President.
• Special surprise with a special “guest” ?????
Come and rejuvenate your spirit and senses in the setting of Still Meadow; come for the camaraderie and companionship; come for the good food! There will be many opportunities to re-connect and be in community with one another.
We hope to see everyone there! Please help to spread the word by inviting your family, friends and colleagues with whom you work and encouraging them to register for the conference. Let them know they will need to contact MTAI to become Friend members. We welcome any questions.
-Conference Committee: Kyle Higaki, Jean Madden, Chris McCullough, James Excell, Elizabeth Markell